Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta (Paleo)
Author: Helen Papaconstantinos
Recipe type: Dessert
- Panna Cotta Ingredients:
- 2 tsp. unflavored gelatin (i.e., Great Lakes brand) or agar-agar powder
- 2 cups full-fat organic coconut, hemp, cashew, almond or goat’s milk
- 2-inch strip of organic lemon peel (peel only, no pith)
- 2 Tablespoons local honey (optional), or a pinch of dried organic stevia leaf
- An additional 1 cup coconut milk or other type of milk
- ¼ tsp ground vanilla bean or 1 Tablespoon organic vanilla extract
- Macerated Nectarines Ingredients:
- 2 ripe nectarines, pits removed, and sliced thinly
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon local honey or a pinch of dried stevia leaf (optional)
- Dessert Topping Ingredients:
- 4 TBS pomegranate seeds
- Panna Cotta Method:
- In a small cup, sprinkle the gelatin over 4 teaspoons water to soften. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine 2 cups of the coconut milk, honey (if using), and lemon peel.Bring to a simmer over medium heat but do not let boil.
- Add the vanilla and the softened gelatin and whisk again to dissolve.
- Whisk in the additional cup of coconut milk. Let ‘sit’ for 1 hour to ‘bloom’ the vanilla and lemon flavours. Remove strip of lemon peel.
- Carefully ladle the mixture into 6 one-cup serving containers, dividing equally.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Macerated Nectarines Method:
- Mix together in a glass or ceramic bowl
- Toss gently and set aside to macerate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Dessert Assembly Method:
- Fill your serving containers with the panna cotta mixture about ⅓rds full.
- Place jars on a rimmed tray and place inside the fridge to firm up – about 4 hours.
- Before serving, top with the peach mixture and a sprinkle of pomegranate seeds. If pomegranate is not in season, sprinkle with toasted flaked almonds or coconut.